The most popular cosmetic dental procedure in the world is professional in-office teeth whitening. These procedures are in such high demand for more reasons than the beautiful results you will see. Primarily, individuals that seek in-office teeth whitening treatments have already tried to whiten their teeth at home and did not have fulfilling results. When you whiten your teeth at home, you are using low-dose bleaching agents; therefore, the time it requires to see results is much longer. On the contrary, in-office teeth whitening, also known as “power bleaching,” uses a concentrated bleaching gel that is much stronger – yielding immediate visible results!
So, now you might have a better idea of why people go to a cosmetic dentist to have their teeth whitened. Just like any procedure, in-office teeth whitening has advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of In-Office Teeth Whitening
- No another treatment will give quicker results
- Safest form of teeth bleaching
- Sensitivity of teeth & gums is much more controlled by blocking high rates of absorption (with thicker peroxide gels) and using desensitizers (potassium nitrate and fluoride)
Disadvantages of In-Office Teeth Whitening
- More expensive than at hometreatments –
- In-office procedures will average about $600 and at home treatments will be about $400 (for take home trays) and $100 for over the counter products.
- Factors such as age, heredity, and the stains that are present can lead to unpredictable results
- This is not a permanent fix
- Shortly after your treatment stains will start to accumulate again. Most cosmetic dentists will recommend follow-up treatments.
All in all, if you have tried to whiten your teeth at home and are frustrated with the slow results, try calling us to set up an appointment. We will discuss a treatment plan to best suit you!